AEW & C WING REUNION
26, 27, 28, 2008 PLYMOUTH, MA.
JULY, 2008 NEWSLETTER
1. The 551st AEW & C WING Reunion has been
scheduled for August 2008. We will meet at the Radisson Plymouth Harbor
Hotel at Plymouth, MA. The Reunion WEB PAGE is : <http://www.dean-boys.com/551aew/551reunion.htm>
2. We are requesting that you get your Reunion Registration in ASAP so that we can plan properly........It is important that you get your Hotel Registrations in ASAP. Do not get blocked out and have to stay at another Hotel. This Reunion is scheduled at peak tourist season and mid-week. If you are planning to arrive earlier or staying later then the scheduled 3 days you may reserve the days at the Reunion rates. This rate is restricted for Monday to Friday. There were 385 members in attendance at the 2006 Reunion. Some of our members had to stay at other Hotels because they did not register early enough.
3. All memorabilia items are available and in stock. See the listing of the items in this newsletter and on the 2008 Reunion web page. Order all items from Floyd I Shank and make the checks payable to Reunion II.
3A. NEW HATS…… Hat is Black with the EC 121 H “Connie” Embroidered on the front in1965 colors. The words over top of the “Connie” are “551st AEW & C Wing” embroidered in white. The Hats will be $16.00 plus $3.00 S&H…
4. A 2006 551st AEW&C Wing Reunion
Tribute-Matilda Eliason has put together a tribute to the men and
women who served in the 551st AEW&C Wing. This Tribute can be
seen at http://www.m-re.com/551_Tribute/index.html
. A thank you goes out to Andrew and Matilda Eliason for their contribution.
5. The Memorial Service planning is in process. We have obtained clearance from the USCG to conduct the Memorial Service. The date and time for the Service at the Memorial Park is Aug 27, 10:00 AM. Jim Collins and Reverend Robert Wubbenhorst will conduct the Service. Base Security will be handled as it was in the past. If you are not retired Military you must have a Valid Drivers License, Proof of Insurance, Picture ID, and may be subject to a Vehicle Search. There is a Reunion ID Pass in your Packet. This will be helpful in identifying you and speed you through security.
6. We are currently working on a tour of the 6th Space Warning Sq. (Pave Paws) located on the Mass Military Reservation. Jim feels that he is close to finalizing the tour. This would take place immediately after the Memorial Service at the Memorial Park.
7. We have made arrangements to have PricePerfect Photos at the Reunion to take Group and Candid pictures. All Photos will be printed and delivered at the end of the Dinner Program. They will also do a 10-15 MIN DVD set to music. Prices will be very affordable.
8. HOSPITALITY ROOM- Dean Boys will be in charge of the Hospitality Room. Refreshments and Beverages will be available. Hours will be posted at the reunion.
9. DOOR PRIZES: Early Registrations………The cut off for the drawing was the 97th Registration, or April 30, 2008. The two lucky registrants that will be getting their Registration fees returned to them are #35 Harry Merkey, Jonestown, PA and #88 Ted Doviak, Spanaway, WA. Thanks for the early sign ups.
10. Dinner Dress will be Jacket and Tie.
11. We will do the Name tags as we have in the past. If not registered in time for the Manufactured Name Tag you will have to make due with the “Hello My Name Is” Tag.
12. The Memorial Wreath Drop is scheduled for 8:30 AM, Thursday Aug 28, 2008. There will be a short Memorial Service at the C-45 Hanger, at the Plymouth Airport. Following the Service the Flight will take off for Nantucket. The Wreath to commemorate the 50 Fallen Stars will be dropped off the shores of Nantucket.
13. Notify me of any email or USPS changes.
14. RAFFLE: Following the Dinner Program we will have our Raffle… Items at this time include 12+ 551st “T” or Sweat Shirts, 6-551st Black Hats, 12- CD with 12 Patriotic Songs, 1 ea of AJ Northrop’s books, 50 Fallen Stars and 50 Fallen Stars and Beyond, and at least 3 Cash Prizes………….We request that you activate your raffle tickets when you pick up your Reunion Packet at the 551st Reunion Desk. There will be add on items not on this list as we finalize the raffle.